Lately, I have been thinking about giving this Holiday season. When Jessica and I were younger, we would adopt an Angel from the tree at Central Mall from the Salvation Army. We would buy the gifts and Mom would deliver them to the designated tree. Every year Jeremey and I discuss adopting an angel/ or looking for a shelter to donate to and every year goes by and we do nothing. Not because we don't want to, but life happens and we forget. Maybe we didn't have the money to give, etc. Since Andrew came into my life, I often wonder what it would be like for other children not having any family at all and how it must feel. I wonder why am I so blessed in my life to have an adorable, healthy child? Why am I so selfish to want the best for my son and neglect the others in this world who are less fortunate than I? Why do I make excuses?
I logged onto a local radio station website tonight. This station helps a program called Santa's Link to Kids. Basically, the Charlotte Mecklenberg Police Dept. delivers the presents donated to the families in the area by Christmas Day. I logged on with the intentions of finding a child or children that our family could adopt and send gifts to. Excited as I selected my criteria, not knowing what/ or who I would select, I was shocked when the results came up. (I didn't select any particular gender or size of family or age.) The number made my heart sink, all 898 of them. 898 people who are on this list who are in need of 1 single toy or a jacket. 898 people, some of who are adults, are seeking help from a fellow man. 898 people and all I wanted was one. 898 people inspired me to post this entry to the bloggers in the world. I realize that you don't live in the Charlotte area and you can not donate to this specific cause, but please seek out organizations in your area and help those in need.
I am blessed beyond belief. Thank you Lord.
2 comments:
Amen ...It never amazes me how many people need help...and how many people have so much more than you and I can't even spare a single dollar
I know what you mean. We are so fortunate and the amount of need out there is overwhelming. If you buy one gift for one of those kids, it will make someone's Christmas really special. I've been rounding up the grinches at work to contribute to toys for tots and there is a now a full box of toys! Scott and I always do the angel tree too. It's so hard to pick just one... but I always have to tell myself that it matters to that one kiddo.
Post a Comment